Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Update on Roquefort and Port Salut

The Roqueforts started blooming six(6) days after making it.  This is relatively fast since it is supposed to take between 10 and 12 days.  I've decided I definitely know how to grow penicillium roquforti mold!  This is a pic of two of the three cheeses at about 12 days.  They are also developing a stronger odor.  I am quite happy with how these are starting out.




This is a pic of the Port Salut from last week, after washing with brine.  A week later, this is now much more orange and the b. linens is starting to grow on the sides of the round.  It too is getting a stronger odor.  I still have issues from time to time with blushes of penicillin mold starting on this one.  Even in a closed container, it gets in.  I have washed it with vinegar and salt solution to treat the spots where the penicillin emerge.  This seems to keep it in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment